Sunday, August 22, 2010

Nothing Like the Holidays (2008)


"Nothing Like the Holidays" follows a loving Puerto Rican family living in Chicago with lots of problems.  There's a husband, played by Alfred Molina, who is keeping secrets from his wife.  There are several children including John Leguizamo who married a non Puerto Rican played by Debra Messing.  Some parts of the movie are funny while others are very real and touching.  This movie more accurately portrays at family gathering at Christmas than those that depict an always happy family.  I was pleasantly surprised to see Jay Hernandez, who I think is a terrific actor, but he doesn't appear in many films.  I loved his role in "Crazy/Beautiful."  This film was great, but some of the stories weren't wrapped up as beautifully as I would have preferred.  Because of the somewhat abrupt ending, I give this film 3 ½ out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment